Mini New York Haul!
Hey everyone! I just got back from New York (literally this morning- so jet lagged now!) and I thought I would show you guys the few beauty bits and pieces I picked up there! So going from left to right I bought (all from drugstore):
- NYC long wearing nail enamel in 105 Starry Silver Glitter- this was only 99c!
- Sally Hansen colour quick fast dry colour pen in Petal Pink- this is so nifty! I thought it would be perfect for on the go touch ups for a nude mani!
- NYC waterproof eyeliner pencil in 935 Moody Blue- I’ve ben looking out for a dark blue eyeliner and this one is very pigmented and smooth to apply- Perfect!
- Sally Hansen salon effects real nail polish strips in 260 Glitz Blitz- I’m in love with glitter nails at the moment and I thought these would be perfect for a night out!
- Vaseline lip therapy with rose and almond oil- a pretty standard purchase but its nice to amp up your average lip balm with a little colour for everyday!
Also, while I was there I treated myself to a manicure (it was only $13!) and I got it in a fluro pink colour by Essie (sorry I don’t have the exact name).
I also bought Willa her B-Day pressie while I was there- its today, so be sure to wish her a happy birthday guys! :D
Make it Wear-able. Fall’11 Runway Trend: Glossy Eyes and Matte Lips.
Introducing a new series of Tutorials on Making the Runway Wear-Able! We will take you through a few dazzling Catwalk looks of Fall 2011 and show you how to wear them in every day life!
The Toned Down Glossy Eyes and Matte Lips.
Eyes: Finely Milled Shimmer can give a wet look.
- Start with a cream shimmery shadow base. Mac Paint Pot in Rubenesque is a great colour for this look. The shimmer in this will already bring light to the lids.
- Top that with a finely milled shimmer powder in a similar colour. Try L’oreal Colour Infalliable for high shimmer or an Illamasque Pure Pigment.
- Then If you dare apply the tiniest amount of Vaseline or Mac Gloss Creme Brilliance to the lids. Just a dot in the center to give you a lived in duey look.
- Then apply a coat of your blackest glossy mascara. Try Maybelline Stiletto.
Lips: Matte Lipstick can be drying for everyday.
- So try a bright stain to get a subdued effect. Try Maybelline Colour Sensational or Revlon Just Bitten in a bright Fuschia.
- This is good for everyday because you can apply lipbalm over throughout the day and even set with a little powder to get a matte effect. But Lipstain gives a matte effect anyway!
Good luck! Any Qs? :)
Ways to use: Lipliner!
Q: I love the idea of lip liner…I’d like to know more about pairing lip liner with lip gloss and or lipstick? -etherealinspiration
A: Yes! Lipliner can be a tricky thing to use! But here are some ways to make it work!
The Natural Lip:
- Grab a lip liner one shade darker, or one shade lighter to your natural lip colour.
- Line around your lips and shade in the line.
- This will give you a very polished and natural look.
- Find a lipliner at least 3 shades darker than your lips.
- Shade in just the center of your lips, not going all the way out.
- Use your finger and blend the colour outwards but leaving most of the liner in the center of your mouth.
- This will give you a very “just kissed” look that instantly plumps up your lips!
- TIP: Layer some clear gloss in the center of your lips to really plump it up!
- Grab a bright lipliner in the colour of your choice, a bright raspberry red works well!
- Lightly shade in most of your lips
- And pat the colour in with your ring finger, we don’t want the edges to be crisp and neat but we want them to be on the softer side to give you a sheer modern stain!
The Classic Red Lip:
- Get a firey red lip liner.
- Precisely line the edges of your lips.Shade in the colour carefully.
- Grab a lip brush and blend to give a seamless finish.
- Then blot with tissue and go back in to outline your lips.
So here are just a few looks you can create with Lipliner! Try to have fun and find out new ways!
More Qs? makeupwrites.tumblr.com/ask
If you feel a totally nude opaque gloss washes you out too much or doesn’t suit your skin-tone try it as a base for other bright lipsticks!
Apply a layer and blot, then apply another thin layer and blot again. Your lips should now bring out the true colour to another vibrant lipstick!
Have a nice evening! xx
Day 5: Flo writes…
Kissable pout! Get soft shiny lips by using Elf’s hyper-shine lip gloss in Blossom. This gloss has some pigmentation in it but not too much and so it great for pairing with statement eyes. This gloss is also very hydrating which is a major plus!
This product is from the normal line of cosmetics and so costs £1.50. So why not give it a go, if this colour is not for you then there are many others so you will be sure to find one you like! xxx