Tutorial- nail polish strips
Hey girls! I’m sure its not just me who has noticed the nail polish strip trend? Minx, Sally Hansen, Nail Rocks, Topshop- they are every where! But I know some people are scared of using them or find it hard so here are a few tips for applying!
I’ve used Sally Hansen’s Salon Effects real nail polish strips in 260 Glitz Blitz, which is a fab sparkly gold glitter polish effect. I only used one because I like to use them sparingly as they were $9.99 and I can’t get them in the UK!
- Firstly, its important to wipe your nails with nail varnish remover before applying otherwise they won’t stick properly to your nails and will peel very easily.
- Make sure you have the correct size for your nails, I tend to under-estimate the size and then leave a huge gap round the side which isn’t a good look! In the end for my ring finger nail I used the second strip in from the left.
- After you’ve applied the strip make sure that your smooth it down firmly and you can even use your hair dryer to soften the strip and make sure that it covers your nail surface fully. I also tend to run my orange stick over the top to make sure that its all smoothed over.
- Lastly you need to file along the edge to smooth it off and also press it under to make sure there are no lose edges.
I’m loving this trend and I can’t wait till these Sally Hansen strips are here in the UK! I’ve also seen people use these to create reverse french manicures by cutting them into half moons, which is easier than painting them on your self! Just make sure that you then use a top coat!
Hope that helped!
Get ready in under 10 minutes- the Parisian way!
Hey girls! Need to look good in double quick time? Do it like a Parisian by following these steps!
- Wash your hair to help wake you up and then apply a mousse for volume and allow to air dry whilst you finish getting ready!
- Apply day cream, its essential for the French woman! In fact even the chicest girls in Paris often get their skin care at the drugstore! But make sure you don’t apply to much, or your cheek will be sticky when you greet your friends a la francaise (cheek kissing)!
- Use a liquid foundation (a pump-action bottle is easier when you’re in a hurry!) and keep a liquid compact in your handbag for touch ups during the day. To apply like a true Parisian don’t use a sponge or a brush, but your fingers for a more natural result!
- Skip under eye concealer- no time!
- Apply matte powdered eye shadow with a fine brush. Most french like shades of brown for a more natural look but you can use any colour!
- Smudge a fine line of black kohl along the base of the lashes
- Apply a bronzing powder with a big brush for a faster application!
- Apply mascara to the top lashes only- that way there is no danger of it running during the day!
Now you look like an elegant Parisian and your ready to run out the door!
Q. How to get rid of pimples and prevent them from coming back? I’ve been having break-outs and IDK what to do with my face. I wash my face every morning when I wake up and before I go to sleep.
A. I feel your pain! I hate hate breakouts! I would say that to deal with yours you need to up your skin care routine from just washing your face because that may not be enough! Try face scrubs, clay masks, spot treatments and toners to treat the spots and help dry them out! However, please don’t pick at your spots- its the worst thing you can do because its makes the spot take a lot longer to go away! So whilst it will give you instant gratification you will have to wait much longer for the mark to fade and deal with scaring! Also don’t over dry your face as this can cause more spots to form so make sure you use a light hydrating moisturiser! Drinking tonnes of water will also help to clear your skin up because it will flush the toxins out of your skin! If you want more tips check outs Willa’s post on her skin care routine ! Hope that helps! xx
Q. What are your top acne face washes? drugstore and not drugstore
On the whole I would say that acne face washes are too strong for most people and will over dry your skin, causing more spots! So try combination skin cleansers such as avene cleanance gel (drugstore) or the clinique wash-away cleanser for oily to very oily skin (department store). xx
Q. What are the best eye creams? drugstore
I used to be into eye gels such as the boots cucumber eye gel, but I didn’t really find that they did much for me so on the whole the only drug store ‘eye cream’ that I’ve really found to have done anything for me is graniers tinted eye roll-on, which is great for the morning as it is quick to apply and doubles up as your concealer! In the evening I use a super hydrating eye cream which is department store. xx
Recent Product Round-up!
What I’ve been loving recently!
- The Body Shop Born Lippy watermelon lip balm: a perfect product for the winter as my lips tend to get dry and this one is super hydrating and as a plus smells and tastes YUMMY!
- Topshop cream blusher in Neon Rose: This is actually Willa’s but she wasn’t using it so gave it to me to try for myself! The colour is really pretty and gives my cheeks a pretty wintery flush and the cream to powder texture makes it easy to blend! It also comes in pretty poka-dot packaging!
- Mac my dark magic mineralize eye-shadow: at the moment I’ve been really into lining my eyes with shadow rather than pencil or gel because it gives a softer, more natural look and this one is perfect because its dark and the purple shimmers add an extra pop! It is also great for a smokey eye on a night out as it has two complimenting shades!
- Revlon colour burst lipgloss in 008 peony pivoine: ever since I saw this in Lisa Eldridges video I knew I had to get it! The colour is so pretty and I’m in love with the golden shimmers!
- Essence colour and go quick drying nail polish in 67 make it gold: Willa gave me this as a christmas present and I’ve been using it non-stop ever since! It looks great on top of any nail polish but I’m loving it over blacks and lilacs! The reason this is so great is it turns any polish metallic and the glitter pieces are different sizes.
- Garnier tinted eye-roll on anti-dark circles in 02: I’ve been using this as my everyday concealer for a while now because its easy to apply and is also hydrating as well as covering my dark circles! My only problem with this product is it needs more shades, the difference between shade 1 and 2 is huge! And for an exact shade is need a slightly lighter shade, but I’m hoping that the range will expand soon! Overall still a great product though!
What have you guys been using recently? What do you think of the products I’ve been using?
My Everyday Makeup Routine!
Hey everyone! At the moment my makeup routine has been a quick natural look which helps to make me look awake and ready for the day, but can be done in a short amount of time! I can do this look in under 10 minutes which is perfect for me. So lets get started!
Face: Fresh and polished!
- I use a light layer of Max Factor Xperience Weightless Foundation in Light Ivory 40 on my t-zone and any other areas that need evening out.
- Next I apply Garnier skin naturals tinted eye roll-on as a concealer for my under eye circles and pat in.
- I then move on to blusher, I use different blushers but mostly peachy-pink cream products such as NYC blushable cream stick in Plaza Pink or Collection 2000 creampuff moisturising lip cream and I blend this onto the apples of my cheeks. Using cream products is much quicker than powder because you can use your fingers!
- I then apply a light dusting of pressed powder over my t-zone to set the foundation; I’ve been using Bourjois mineral radiance in 02 Vanille .
Eyes: Just a swipe of mascara!
- I give my eye brows a quick brush but leave them un-filled.
- Next I curl my lashes and apply a coat of Max Factor false lash effect mascara.
- Depending on how much time I have I also apply Revlon colour stay eyeliner in coffee on the top lash line
Lips: a bit of tinted balm or gloss!
- As I’m dashing out of my room to school I put on a swipe of pinky balm. My current favourites are Mac’s tinted lip conditioner in Petting Pink, Vaseline lip therapy with rose and almond oil or Revlon colourburst gloss in peony pivoine.
So there you go, its really a super quick look that is fresh and pretty. What about you girls? Do you have a super quick to do day time look?
Award Winner: Jane Iredale Eye-Lash Primer
Eye-lash Primer? “Meh..” was my first thought! But after getting a sample of this gem my opinion has changed!
Jane Iredale specializes in Mineral products and has worked with surgeons and dermatologists to perfect her beauty line! This Lash Condtioner shows all the hard work has payed off as they have created a primer that really works!
Apply this before mascara/without anything to instantly transform your lashes into being thicker, longer and more defined. This white product dries up clear after a few minutes so you can wear it alone for a naturally open-eyed look (which I sport regularly). Or apply mascara straight after its applied for a false-lash effect.
Its 9g of product which is pretty good and I reckon this tube will last for a while. Being only £13, its a lot cheaper than many other designer primers such as Lancome or Estee Lauder which can cost up to £30.
Its a “suit-all” product and will work for anyones lashes! Plus it makes removing mascara easier and allows less fall-out of lashes; Many added bonuses :D Give this a go if your in search of a new Eyelash primer that does make a difference!
Any Qs or Requests? Xxxx
Hello :) Plus Recent Product Round-up!
Hello and Sorry! Its been ages since a post from me.. But we’re getting back on it!
So to start us off here’s a Little round up of all the products I’ve recently been loving:
- Estee Lauder Satin Creme Blush in Nude Light: This Satin finish cream blush is the perfect muted peachy-nude for autumn, It leaves a lovely cool-toned skin-finish shimmer sheen on the cheek bones! Best applied with fingers or a flat-top stippling brush for a natural effect
- Bourjouis Intense Exrait in 03: These new shadows from Bourjois are a newer, intense version of the classic “little round pot” claiming to be 2 times more intense in one sweep! And yes they are! This matt pink with a sparkling shimmer is very Nars-esque and great for the evening!
- Bourjois Intense Extrait in 09: This matt grey/brown is perfect to sweep along the lashline with an angled brush for effortless definition.
- Bourjois 10 days Nail Polish in 17: I am a fan of these “10-day” polishes! Sure they don’t last for “10 days” but they do a pretty good job! And I love this deep cherry red for Winter
- No.7 Lash Adapt Mascara in Black/brown: This new mascara from No.7 is full on Volume which is what I look for in a mascara. Its super build-able so you can get any look from natural to evening look. Also this brown/black is the perfect combo!
- L’oreal Super Liner Luminizer Hazel Eyes: This liquid, almost water based liner is perfect for a quick pick-me-up. Its got an easy spongy tip and the purple really brings out the brown in my eyes.
- Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip balm: IN LOVE with this balm! It tastes like lemon tarte and works like a treat on dry lips! Hmmmm yum .
What do you think?! I would highly recommend all of these!
Any Qs? Xxx
P.s. More posts on their way!
Q. hey guys u havent been updating alot can u do a update on ur skin care xxxxx rosie
A. Heya Rosie! Sorry about the lack of updating, we’ve both been so bogged down with work because we both just started sixth form and its so much more pressure! :( But of course I (Flo) will tell you an update on my skincare!
I haven’t changed that many of the products that I’ve been using but in general my routine is more about saving time at the moment!
In the AM-
- When I wake up I use yes to tomatoes deep cleansing facial pad or boots essentials cucumber cleansing wipes to cleanse my face
- Next I mosturise the dry parts of my face with Avene rich hydrating cream for normal to dry sensitive skin and then apply a spot treatment to my t-zone (been soooo stressed resently and for me stress= spots!)
- I’m using the garnier tinted eye roll on as a concealer and eye cream in one! So good!
In the PM-
- I remove my make up with the cleansing wipes and then wash my face using Avene cleanance gel soapless cleanser for oily, blemish-prone skin or the Neutrogina Visible clear spot stress control daily scrub.
- After I apply the same mosturiser and spot treatment as eariler
If I have time at some point in the week I will try to use a clay mask on my t-zone to try and treat spots!
Sorry for the lack of posts, I’ll try to put some more up this weekend! Any suggests on what I should write about?!
BTW I do have another blog which I update more often so if you want to then it would be great if you followed!
Up-grade your basic mani!
Heya guys! Ever get bored of the same old nude mani? Try making it more interesting by adding different patterns, like cashmere and cupcakes! I did mine yesterday using sally hansen’s color quick in petal pink and essie’s my place or yours.
I did a mix of patterns on each nail, you can be creative with this! Make it fun!
What do you guys think? Would you try this?